HI All,

I'm on a tight budget and need to spend my money on the B2R shoes instead of the slant board and stability disk.  Can one of you measure the dimensions of them for me?

Specifically the height of the slant board and and the diameter of the stability disk's ball?

Thank you much.

Adam 

Views: 16654

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Adam, I made my own slant board and stability disk in a little over an hour. They work great. You only need a jig saw, a ruler/square/tape measure, drill gun with drill and screw bits, and appropriately sized wood screws. Clamps help, but you don't have the have them, especially if you have assistance. I used 3/4 ply for both pieces of equipment. It works great for me. I'm a small guy. If you want something sturdier or you have solid wood scrap lying around that you prefer to use, then it wouldn't hurt to use those. You will need a 2-inch half wooden ball for the stability disk. You can purchase these online for a few bucks with shipping and handling. Just google it. All dimesions below are in inches.

Stability Disk - I cut out a 5 inch circle with the jig saw You can use a protractor to draw the circle or try and find a bowl or lid that is close to that diameter to use as a stencil. Then, I centered the half ball on the disk and drilled 2 guide holes through the disk into the flat side of the half ball. Be careful not to go all the way through! After that, I drilled counter sink holes on top of the disk (where my guide holes were) to a depth of about 1/8 inch (just enough so that the screw head would not stick out). That's it. :)

Slant Board - This involved a little more planning and cutting but was still pretty easy, especially if you have a little woodworking experience. I drew then cut out a 5X5 inch square, a 1X5 in rectangle, and a 1.25X5X~4.5 isosceles triangewith the jig saw. The dimesions of the triange might vary a little depending on other factors, but you can easily cut or sand a little off for a better fit if needed. To assemble the slant board, just drill guide holes and counter sink holes as described for the stability disk to adjoin the pieces as follows:

4.5 inch side of triangle to bottom of 5X5 board with at least one wood screw. Line the small angle up with the edge of the board and center the tringle edge underneath. The board will blance evenly on this tiangle and will wobble a bit if done correctly.

The 1.5X5 rectangle piece will fill the gap between the end of the triangle and the other edge of the board on the under side. Essentially, this piece will provide support between the triangle and the board. It doesn't really weight bear.  Use two screws, spaced about 1/4 inch from the edges of the board to affix the rectangle piece to the board. Then use at least 1 screw to connect the rectangle piece to the trangle piece.

Although counter sinking is not absolutely neccessary, it makes it more comfortable on your feet on the foot surfaces of the equipment and looks better everywhere. Size your screws appropriately. I suggest checking each time before drilling to make sure that it does not go through too far. The guide holes are important to keep your wood from splitting.

Optional features - You can purchase grip tape, cut it to size, and adhere it to the foot surfaces to keep your foot from sliding off. If you have a router, you can route the outer edges of you equipement to round them, then sand them down to smooth. If you are really in love with your equipment, you can use solid wood and stain and finish it.

It may be difficult to follow the instructions without diagrams. Eric graciously invited me to post pictures. if anyone wants them, I will post some diagrams and/or pictures to help.

Enjoy!

Yes, please post diagrams.  I'm having trouble visualizing how the triangle fits on the bottom of the board.

Reading it again and drawing it out, I think I get it now.  The triangle actually is attached almost as a spine in the middle of the 5x5 board right down the middle.  

For some reason, I was originally picturing it sideways.

Thanks, I'll try this out tonight.

Clicking on this picture should help visualize how it fits too too:

Exactly, Bob. One of these days, I will get around to posting some pictures.

Hi Patrick. I'd really appreciate the pictures if possible.

Hey Mark - this might help also.

Measurements

Yeah. I had forgotten about this. I will try and take/post them this weekend.

Hello Patrick, request you to post the pictures when possible. 

I too have a limited budget, so I put my money in shoes, and hopefully soon on the strength video's.

Here is my latest attempt. I'm a carpenter by trade so I've got scraps laying around all over.

I used 1/2" plywood, glued all the connections so no fasteners are needed, got some "no skid" asphalt to adhere to the top. I put a 15 degree angle on it. Don't know if that is exactly like the b2r models, but it seemed about right to me. The center spine is about 3/16" taller then the back support to give it the wobble.

Tim - thank you so much for the photos. They look quite self explanatory. I will try and let you know how it goes. 

RSS

Cirque Series Mountain Races

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

The Cool Impossible: Run Beyond Limits

“this is by far one of the best training books of the past decade.” - Competitor Magazine

Order link:

Amazon 

Camps and Training Visits

Groups

Forum

Achilles tendon right legs painful

Started by Giorgio Guglielmino in Eric's Training (Tips Included). Last reply by Giorgio Guglielmino Jan 29. 1 Reply

My first Ultra Race :)

Started by Giorgio Guglielmino in The Cool Impossible. Last reply by Giorgio Guglielmino Jan 16. 4 Replies

100 mile race approach

Started by Kirk in Run Training Dec 29, 2019. 0 Replies

Strength Training - Uneven Leg length

Started by Matthew Sheringham in Strength Training. Last reply by Ben Lynch Dec 7, 2019. 1 Reply

Training for 100km ultra

Started by Giorgio Guglielmino in Run Training. Last reply by Giorgio Guglielmino Oct 30, 2019. 2 Replies

Photos

• Add Photos

Partners

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service