Hi Eric,

I'm coming off of a soleus muscle tear, it's been three months. I was running 25-35 miles a week prior to injury. I am now running like 6 miles a week (2 mile stints). I feel strong and really want to get back to my 7-8 mile runs and my nature is to just go out and run 7 miles but I have this HUGE fear that I'm going to re-injure myself.

Is there some kind of "rule" to follow in ramping back up your mileage?

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am nooo expert on injuries, but I would think if you are feeling good on 2 mile stints, just gradually increase distance like every other or every 3rd run, run a little longer and see how you feel on the next day's 2 miler run. A lot of times I don't know if i've overdone it until the next day or until I try an easier run again. If i run a longer run and still feel good on the next easy run I know I haven't overdone it. I don't know if that makes any sense or is helpful! ;-)

well that sounds good to me! thanks for the advice.

FYI as for the San Juan Summer Solstice..you have to have a trail ultra under your belt in order to even register :( ugh...

Hi Barbara,

I was running in Winter with five-toes and good snow. I get the impression the temperature is definitly a parameter as well. I am experiencing pressure and light pain sensation within the Achilles area (but inside the foot and towards the toes, so not at the end where achilles is). I got this after 2,5 hour run in the snowy alps, and I think temperature triggered that besides probably other causes.

Question: Could you send me picture of a foot (maybe even yours if you dont have an illustration handy) to give me the idea where your pain is located? I am no physician, but would like to learn and maybe I can ask my local physio heroes for their specific solution.

Nevertheless, did you check on how your feet are moving during your run? Did you do a video analysis, maybe to see if you have inballances of movement and therefore overdoing stress on some parts of your feet?

Btw. I saw your the photos of your last competition and have to say, you are looking like a good "fighter" person! Must have been a blast to do the run, hmm?

All the best from snowy Bavaria, and good healing!

Oliver

RSS

Not Your Everyday Adventure WINNER

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

The Cool Impossible: Run Beyond Limits

“this is by far one of the best training books of the past decade.” - Competitor Magazine

Order link:

Amazon 

2019 Run Camps

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Partners

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service