I'm totally new to all of this. I just finished reading the book & I've been doing all foot strength exercises for about 2 weeks. (The massage therapist I go to seems to notice a big difference in my legs already). The last half marathon I trained for resulted in a stress fracture in my foot. I've been riding the bike (which is so boring!) & now trying to figure out my running form & how to get back into running again. I know my next step is to order the more flexible shoes. Running stores don't sell very many of those thinner shoes so I've been looking online. Those Lems Primal shoes look nice but what I see online is only mens. Does it matter if I get a man or woman's shoe? Would someone be able to give me some advice on which brands are helping them with running? Everybody tells me I need 'more support because I'm over pronating' but I know that's not right, & I want to be careful & do what I can to not get another stress fracture. Any input would be appreciated!

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow that's amazing! So far I've been doing them maybe a little less than a month, for 3 times a week on the days that I do a little bit of running. My feet & legs always feel kind of tight & really tired after it so I don't think I could do them much more that every other day if I tried. Thanks!

All good suggestions so far...
A list of brands to consider that I found a few years ago (in no particular order):
Altra
innov-8
Lems
Merrell
New Balance Minimus
Newton
Salomon Running
The North Face
Topo Athletic
Xero Shoes
Vibram FiveFingers
Vivo Barefoot

My personal favorites are Vibram FiveFingers, Vivo Barefoot, and (to a lesser degree) Altra. I have wide feet, so that excludes many of the above brands for me.

I find my pair of Altra Instinct 2.0 to be too tall / soft at this point in my journey, so I don't really run in them much. (I should have bought a pair of Altra One2 instead, but I was shopping at the local run shop and they didn't carry those.)

I would prefer to shop local for shoes, but I have given up on finding minimal zero-drop shoes locally. I primarily order from zappos.com although deals can be found on 6pm.com (the clearance section of Zappos).

Ok some of those I've never heard of, thank you for the information!

Vivo Barefoot is actually a good brand -- I like their casual shoes a lot -- but I do find the toe box to be too narrow for running. Topo Athletic looks like the ninja tabi shoes and they were designed by the guy who also was involved with the Five Finger shoes. Definitely go with the Altra if you can find them!

RSS

Strength Equipment

Personal Coaching Athlete Login

Username
Password

DREAMING BEYOND FEAR AND LIVING BEYOND LIMITS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2017   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by