Greetings! I really enjoyed the book and have been sticking to the training plan since early January. However, I've had to swap some of my trail running for the gym where I can do the swiss ball strength training and use elliptical to do the HR Zone cardio workouts with lower intensity (ie without agitating my sore heel).

After searching for answers via the web I discovered the "sock doc" and have been massaging pressure points in my calves (soleus) with much success. However, bringing my weekly training back up to 30 miles (along with plenty of gym work and some cross-training) my heel is not recovering after a day off. Should I push it and stick to my running schedule or really manage my training differently for a period of time?

I wondered what the healing rate is for sore heels (I'm 36), how much pain is reasonable to endure (I'd love to just run through it knowing that I am not going to make it worse- as it does feel better after warming up), and what sort of rest would be acceptable (and helpful) if I were to keep mileage down but continue to cross train in the meantime, while healing takes place.

Views: 364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When is your heel pain the worse?

First in the morning?

During runs?

After running?

You also might want to inspect your foot strike and make sure you are allowing your heel to strike the ground after your forefoot strike - and not keeping it slightly elevated.

And did you take any time off from activity to rest it at first, or did you go right to the elliptical?

Heel pain is worse a few hours after a long run or a high impact run ( the mile test and 20min test seemed to aggravate it). When running it seems to warm up and feel good during/throughout.

While I'd had some plantar fascitis pain, running in a zero drop shoe with some cushion and wider toe box (I found Altra before I knew about the B2R shoes) helped a lot. However, doing a landscape job in December 2013 on a super steep hill I abused my calves and noticed the heel pain while running up hills during my regular trail runs a week later. 

Your question about the heel strike after forefoot striking resonates because I may have been nursing either a minor injury or soreness for a few weeks after the landscape job. This particular trail starts with 2miles uphill (the last 3/4mile being quite brutal) so maybe I wasn't warming up properly for these runs before jumping right into a slow climb?

I took a day or two off after noticing the intense heel pain; it actually makes me limp a bit. Relatedly, after limping around a bit yesterday I posted this question and then had my girlfriend walk on the back of my legs (butt & hamstrings) and - almost immediately- the tension in my heel was minimized and I was able to run this morning. While my heel is a little tender it's not debilitating.

I plan to cross train for the next couple of days with light running to and from gym (no hills) and then pickup the distance over the weekend.

I have become a huge fan of the golf ball!!!! with a sock on I stand and roll my arch and work my way into the heel, kneeding and smoothing all that out. It has done wonders and feels sooo good. It just melts that soreness and pain...the bottom of my r foot gets kinda wicked at times and this has really been quite magical.

Hi everyone.

I currently have heel bursitis so I haven't ran properly for almost 7 weeks now. It does not hurt when I walk only when I start running. It only hurts when my heel touches the floor. Has anyone any advice of what I could try? I have seen a physio, he doesn't seem to think anything is causing it, and advises ice and pain killers.

Also I have a slant board, do you think it would okay to do the exercises for this, while I have this injury?

Many thanks

Ian

RSS

Foot Core

Train With Eric

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

The Cool Impossible: Run Beyond Limits

“this is by far one of the best training books of the past decade.” - Competitor Magazine

Order link:

Amazon 

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Partners

Badge

Loading…

© 2021   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service