Hi, 

I am starting week 12 of Phase 1, with a marathon in 8 weeks.  I noticed that the longest Phase 2 runs are 60-70% of the longest Phase 1 run.  With a race coming up, it seems like it would help to get at least one or two 20-milers in before race day.  Thinking I should taper the last 2-3 weeks before the race, any suggestions on how I can adjust to work a few longer runs in over the next 6 weeks?

Thanks!

Views: 312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Carl,

I can tell you my experience of using the Foundation course and running planned races within it. I'm currently on Phase 2 week 4 I ran my first ever marathon on Sunday. I must say I really think the training was great I had an issue at 23-26.2 miles with really bad cramp hamstring/calf/feet in both legs so I lost a good bit of time. I think my error was hydration and no other reason. I was like yourself I thought being in phase 2 with the shorter runs I might suffer but I fell I did not. I ran 23 miles at 8:45 pace and the final 3 around 12:00 pace due to the condition of my legs. Never once did I think of failure due to any reason at all, I never hit the proverbial "Wall" I think you will be just fine just pace yourself don't go crazy.   I also ran a 1/2 marathon at the end of week 12 of phase 1 and had a PB of 01:44:13 ... 13 mins faster than my last and I was able to have several conversations on the way around.

Good Luck 

Frank 

Francis, 

Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on finishing your first marathon!  That's awesome!  Nice PB in the 1/2 as well - 13 mins is a ton of time.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember how long (either time or mileage) your longest Phase 1 run was?

Good Morning Carl,

Yes it was in total 3 hours and 20 minutes that included the warm up cool down, and a distance of 21 miles. I have been pushing myself and doing Eric's plan to the full so the longest time, the most reps of intervals and only resting only on the 7th day. 

Its challenging but its achievable and enjoyable, let me know how it goes on your marathon good luck

Frank

RSS

Connect

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

The Cool Impossible: Run Beyond Limits

“this is by far one of the best training books of the past decade.” - Competitor Magazine

Order link:

Amazon 

Groups

Forum

Hill Interval Gradient

Started by Ben Lynch in The Cool Impossible. Last reply by Ben Lynch on Thursday. 2 Replies

Watts and foot pods

Started by Fabrice Chauliac in Run Training. Last reply by Fabrice Chauliac Feb 22. 10 Replies

New Shoes

Started by Charlie Mullane in Eric's Training (Tips Included). Last reply by Jacob Cossairt Jan 30. 10 Replies

Photos

• Add Photos

Partners

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video