Hello folks!  Ever since I started working with Eric virtually, I have theoretically understood the idea of driving the knees forward while running.  I would like to make sure that I am understanding the specifics as well, i.e. that driving the knees forward has the effect of disallowing over striding, which in turn pretty much assures one of a mid-foot strike, as Eric has shown in the video where he is running in place, lifting his feet up and down.  I just want to make sure I am correct in thinking this way.  I also understand the use of cadence, and the idea that Eric has put out that in order to increase the pace, you keep the same cadence, only you increase your stride.  Now what I want to really make sure I understand is how to lengthen the stride.  From running slowly, I notice that the knee doesn't drive forward as much and when running at a fairly fast pace, the knee drives, what seems to be higher.  Is this how it works?

Any input would be highly appreciated...clarifications, corrections, etc.

Best,

John

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good post John, something I need to think about and look at next time I run.  

Hello folks.  I am still questioning how the stride increases. Increasing the stride doesn't seem to come from the push off, at least if I take Eric exactly by his word, but from driving the knee forward.  Again, I can't seem to feel it while I am running, but it does seem that if I think about driving the knee forward with more power, I go faster.  It has a feeling to running in place with "high knees," which is why I am wondering and questioning whether driving the knees forward is the same thing as lifting them as high as possible.  I am sure that if I was running incorrectly, I would be bouncing all over the place, but I am not, so I think "lifting" and "driving" might just be the same.  Anyone having any thoughts about this, please let me know (Eric especially).  Thanks!

Hey John-

I don't know if this will help or not. I use the visual image of running like the "Road Runner" cartoon character with my legs cycling madly but just barely touching the ground. Bigger circles to go faster, smaller circles to go slower.

Hello all!  I never did get an answer regarding the above questionings.  I still keep thinking about what Eric says in one of his videos...to "drive the knees forward."  It seems to make sense to me that when you drive the knees forward, and your toes point down, it makes it hard to heel strike, as well as making it hard to overstride...so that would take care of the things you don't want to do.  So I still wonder if stride length is then a combination of driving the knees forward as well as leg extension to the rear?   

stride length and speed is directly related to your ability to lift your knee high in front of you while maintaining a straight stance leg.  A sprinter will have a very high knee and a marathoner a lower knee.

Try holding your stance leg straight (balancing) and lift the other leg's knee as high as you can without bending stance leg.

Many runners with tight hip flexors will be forced to bend the stance leg to lift the knee high.

So yes, to increase your stride length, simply run faster and focus on lifting knee higher in front of you than you would running slower.  Your foot strike should for the most part ALWAYS strike the ground in the same place.  You should NOT increase stride length by reaching further out in from of you, striking the ground further away from your body. 

Good drill: run up flight of stairs one step at a time.  Then two steps at a time, then 3 steps at a time.  You are increasing your stride length, thru knee heigtht and stance leg force, but striking in the same position.

Hope this helps - E

I am no expert, but sounds to me like you've got it! 

RSS

Connect

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

The Cool Impossible: Run Beyond Limits

“this is by far one of the best training books of the past decade.” - Competitor Magazine

Order link:

Amazon 

Groups

Forum

Hill Interval Gradient

Started by Ben Lynch in The Cool Impossible. Last reply by Ben Lynch on Thursday. 2 Replies

Watts and foot pods

Started by Fabrice Chauliac in Run Training. Last reply by Fabrice Chauliac Feb 22. 10 Replies

New Shoes

Started by Charlie Mullane in Eric's Training (Tips Included). Last reply by Jacob Cossairt Jan 30. 10 Replies

Photos

• Add Photos

Partners

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video