Hello, everyone,

It's been a while. Some of you asked me to keep you posted on the BQ race I announced here months ago.

It was yesterday. I did it! As a 46-year-old man, I needed to run 3:25:00. I did 3:23:25. The location was Santa Rosa, CA.

This was a 25-minute improvement on my only previous marathon, in Carlsbad, CA, 19 months ago.

Since that marathon in late January, 2013, I did some scattershot training through spring and summer. Then, in Sept. 2013 I began Eric's program. I completed Phase I and Phase II, and set a new PR in a half marathon in Huntington Beach, CA, in early Feb. 2014. After some rest I redid Phase I.

After that I switched my approach. I read Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. The science seems to agree 100% with Eric, and since theirs is a marathon-specific approach, I went with their 12-week plan.

So, all I did was do what Eric says, and then what Pete and Scott said. That's it.

I have no question that having done Phase I twice laid a crucial endurance foundation that the Pfitzinger/Scott plan was able to leverage into a BQ. So: THANK YOU, Eric!!!

Can't wait for Boston...

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice one!!!
Congratulations Jason, well done you should be very proud of yourself. Any program is just words until the you embrace it & does the work. Keep us posted.

Congrats! Which weekly mileage plan did you use? 

Thanks, Matt. I used the 12-week plan that maxes out at 55 miles/week. I was able to BQ on the 12-week plan, I'm sure, because of the foundation I'd laid w/ Phase I or Eric's Strategic Running Foundation.

Thanks Jason! Hitting a BQ is also one of my Cool Impossibles and hearing your experience helps me in figuring out my plans after I finish the Strategic Running Foundation. I have a ways to go. Only in Phase 1 Week 9 but amazed at how much stronger and faster I feel.
This is soooooo AWESOME!! Congrats! I got to finish Boston Marathon 2013, I rolled through at 3:23, so that time rang a bell. Best wishes speedy!

Thank you, Lori! I'll see if I can sneak in at maybe 3:22...LOL...

Dare ya!!

RSS

Train With Eric

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

The Cool Impossible: Run Beyond Limits

“this is by far one of the best training books of the past decade.” - Competitor Magazine

Order link:

Amazon 

Foot Core

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Partners

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service