I finally achieved my TCI two weeks ago and did a 33.7 mile ultra, but now I'm having what's described as "anterior ankle impingement", or ankle arthritis.  It's not extremely painful, though it's slightly decreased my range of motion when flexing my foot upwards.  And when I touch the talus bone on the top of my foot, it aches a little.

My running hasn't been affected that much, though I've been keeping my mileage low while my body recovers.

Anyone else have to deal with ankle arthritis or just arthritis in general while running?  Any recommended remedies?

Views: 500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations on the TCI Jay, well done you must be very happy, where was it run and do you have any photos. Upward and Onward.

As for the arthritis, you hear lots of solutions, Omega 3, Fish Oil, heat, eating this, not eating that, rest, keeping off it, ramping up your work load but as with running you have to experiment and see what works for you.

You say it hasn't affected your running that much, so I'd say unless there's any change, its business as usual and keep an eye on it . Yes I know, NO help at all! :-} 

Thanks for the tips, Robert!  I've also discovered that tart cherry juice and turmeric also help.  I've throttled back on my running distances though.  Instead of doing the half marathon this past weekend I ended up doing a 5K and somehow was 5th in my age group.  (I've never been that fast before!)  It's got me thinking now about shorter distances and gaining speed!

I recently completed 3 marathons in 3 days but had to drop out of days 4 and 5 due to the tendons in my ankle stopping 'tendoning'! I was left with swelling and pain across the talus area.
A friend's brother is a sports therapist and his treatments are based on a holistic approach. He diagnosed I had tenosynovitis caused by trigger points in my in my Tibialis Anterior muscle. This is the muscle which runs along the front outside of the shin, connecting to a tendon which crosses the front of the ankle and helps lift the front of the foot.
Because of the trigger points, this muscle was in spasm, pulling the tendon tighter, leading to inflammation. Massaging the trigger points relieved the tension and my ankle now has the full movement.
I was recommended The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, on Kindle, well worth a read!

Rob, that's amazing! 3 marathon in 3 days!

So it's four months later and the talus bone is much better.  I did aggravate it a bit when I did a few trail races in October.  Those races had some fairly major elevation gain, and some of those hills were so steep it was like climbing stairs.

Thanks for the tip on the Trigger Point Therapy.  I'll have a look at the book!

RSS

Enter to WIN a Weekend Run Adventure with Me! (coming 9/3)

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

The Cool Impossible: Run Beyond Limits

“this is by far one of the best training books of the past decade.” - Competitor Magazine

Order link:

Amazon 

2019 Run Camps

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Partners

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service