Hi I was wondering if you could clarify something for me. You say under carbohydrates it should say zero sugar. What about all natural organic almond butter, the ingredients state 'organic raw almonds' but under total carbohydrates there are 2 grams of sugar.  Is that added sugar or the natural sugar of the almonds? How do you rate it?  Thanks

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Almond butter, if only ingredient is almonds it has no added sugar. However, all fruits, vegetables, nuts have carbohydrates in varying amounts so you may see this as "sugar" on the package. What you have to watch for is added sugar, often frozen vegetables, fruits have added sugar to make them taste sweeter. I think the overall goal is to get rid of any added sweeteners, and sugars.

I agree that the advice for the sugar detox saying "under carbohydrates, there should be a line for sugar.  You want that to be zero."  Is a little confusing.  Even the carrots and certainly the fruit Eric is recommending would have grams of sugar on this line on the label.  (Use Google to get the label for foods that ordinarily do not have one - apples, carrots, and so forth.  )

I am going to proceed with the sugar detox but eliminating added sugars, rather than eliminating any food with sugar whatsoever, which I think would result in an extreme protein and fat diet.  I have just finished reading the book and I just don't think super low carb diets are what Eric really means to advocate.

Eric if you are reading this thanks for publishing the Cool Impossible.  I just finished it and am now going back over it and getting ready to start.

It sounds like there is no added sugar, so you are ok here. All fruits, vegetables and nuts have some carbohydrates, this is why if you see carbs and sugar in the nutritional values, check the ingredients....sounds like there is no "sugar" added. Here the goal is to avoid any "sugars"....everything ending in "ose" in the ingredients. The goal is to eat whole natural foods. So sugars would be dextrose, sucrose, maltose...etc in the ingredients.

Just read Carl's response....think he pretty well hit the nail on the head! 

RSS

Enter to WIN a Weekend Run Adventure with Me! (coming 9/3)

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton

The Cool Impossible: Run Beyond Limits

“this is by far one of the best training books of the past decade.” - Competitor Magazine

Order link:

Amazon 

2019 Run Camps

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Partners

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eric Orton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service